Saturday, January 23, 2016

Carlsbad Half Marathon

If you run in San Diego, you're aware of the "Triple Crown" race event-- you earn the Crown by running the Carlsbad Half/Full Marathon, La Jolla Half and America's Finest City Half Marathon.  Due to race schedule conflicts in 2015, I wasn't able to earn the Crown so I was excited when I realized I would be able to do it in 2016.  

The day started early-- I was meeting up with Erika and Smitha to run a few miles before the race (We were aiming for 20 miles that day) Erika was gracious enough to wake up early and run with us even though she wasn't running the event.  She also met us after the race to run back to her house.  

Smitha and Erika

ProCompression's Sock of the Month with Smitha and Linzie

Off to the start

But first, let's take a selfie.....

And we were off.  I went into the race thinking I might actually be able to PR.  Then something happened-- I'm not sure when it was, but I hit a wall.  And I hit it hard.  The race course was beautiful and the company was awesome, but I just didn't have it in me.  And I struggled.  But the fun was still had.  And look at those views!










One race down, two to go. 

After the race, I will admit that I was disappointed.  I had let myself down and I felt like I had let other people down.  Looking back, I know that idea is silly.  It took me several days to recover-- I honestly think I increased my training too much in a short period of time as I prepare for the LA Marathon.  It was a humbling lesson to learn.  I've taken a week to rest and recover-- though it's been hard not to run, I appreciate the run so much more now.  

Have you ever been disappointed after a race?  What did you do to recover from that?

Until next time, happy running.
Jenn13.1

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Balance More

It is sometimes said that “less is more,” so when NewBalance  released their new shoe, More, I was intrigued to find out if sometimes “more...